Saturday, June 25, 2005

The history behind my burning passion

Ever wonder why my nick is so kiddy, flamekid?? I remember when i played online CS a few years back, other players would often make fun of my nick, saying it's so childish and stuffs and they thought i was a primary school kid. They were all wrong, never judge a person by his name, i'd say. Here's a story behind this nick.

Looking back to those days when i was in primary 6.........

me, "Eh, can help me donate or not??"
Jia Hui, "Can of cuz...why not i donate $2 to you and you donate $2 to me??"
me, "Sure..it's a deal!"

I made a new friend on the bus by the name of Jia Hui. We just received our donation cards today and we became each other's "first customer". I was being introduced to him by Fabian, my buddy during my primary school days. Fabian stayed quite close to me and that's the reason why we got to know each other and in fact, we didn't share the same class though. Jia Hui was his classmate from 6A3 then. Later that day, i found out that he stayed even closer to me(just a couple of blocks away) compared to Fabian. From then on, he joined the lew lian group named after our neighbourhood's name "Lew Lian Garden". I introduced him to the mates like Guang Long, Jeremy, my bro, and those whom i forgot to mention.

Soon he went to Holy Innocent's High School while i moved on to St Gabriel's Secondary School. Slowly the gang grew in numbers, some friends came and went away, one passed away, the rest kept close contact. Soccer, basketball and some childhood games like catching, police and thieves were our favourites.

Time flew and we graduated from secondary education and went into tertiary education. Surprisingly, we went to the same course after choosing it as our first choice. He went into class DBI0202 while i went into class DBI0211.

From then on, we indulged ourselves in several hot games like CS, starcraft, warcraft and many other games. He thought of a nick, hydrokid, which sounded so cool. I then thought of a nick that was closely related but at the other extreme though, flamekid(which wasn't as cool as hydrokid). We were so close that even in the cyber world, we chose an alias that's closely linked. From online gaming to LAN gaming at gaming cafes, or even LAN gaming in school(We actually set up Need For Speed Underground 2 and CS during FYPJ..SHH!) , people thought we were brothers and truly we were really like blood brothers.




Yes, this is now i got my nick. Kind of miss the old school days where we could have fun and not think about other things. Now everyone in the lew lian group moved on in life, some went to NS, some graduated and MIA, some moved overseas, i guess that's life huh?

So from that day when i got my nick, even till now, i found myself slowly being moulded into the cyber character, burning with passion. It's either i do it to the best, or i don't do it at all.

My gaming experience played a very important part in building up my personality. I can still recall how i went from a CS noob to a CS not-so-noob to a CS not-a-noob-anymore, and how i got from 0 frags-51 deaths to 64 frags-2 deaths playing with the same bunch of people. It took me some time before getting to that stage and i can't deny there were many other better players out there. It's all about self-improvement i should say.

Passion is all i have when i do almost everything. Learning how to place the white ball to the right position in a game of pool, learning how to kick a soccer ball properly and learning how to cook a good dish is all about skills but without passion, nothing is really possible.

That's why i live life setting realistic goals which sometimes a few will turn out not so realistic afterall.

1 have something to say..

At August 25, 2005 2:56 PM, Blogger salty said...

yuan lai...tts how u knew him arh...haha~ interesting..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home